Saipan Saipan American Memorial Park from WWII

Saipan Saipan American Memorial Park from WWII

This pin commemorates the Saipan American Memorial Park which honors the American and Marianas people who gave their lives during the Marianas Campaign of World War II. 5,204 names are inscribed on a memorial which was dedicated during the 50th anniversary of the Invasion of Saipan. Within the 133-acre boundary are white beaches, sports, picnic sites, playgrounds, walkways, and a 30-acre protected wetland and mangrove forest.

At 0840 on June 15, 1944, initial waves of the 2nd and 4th U.S. Marine Divisions stormed onto a narrow beachhead on Saipan. The enemy guns were ranged-in on the beaches and shells rained down with deadly effect. Marine units, supported by Naval and Army Air Corps bombardment, and joined by the U.S. Army’s 27th Infantry Division, waged savage warfare. For most of the soldiers, seamen, and airmen it was yet another invasion. For many it would be their last. For the world it was the beginning of the end of the Pacific War.

The Marianas Campaign of World War II was the most decisive battle of the Pacific Theater. With Saipan secured on July 9th, U.S. Forces were able to cut off vital Japanese supply and communication lines, and American B-29 bombers moved within range of the Japanese homeland. The end of the war with Japan followed 14 months later.

On D-Day, June 15, 1944, the Island of Saipan was attacked by the United States’ 2nd and 4th Marine Divisions, who landed along the western lagoon of Saipan. Two days later, the U.S. Army 27th Infantry Division landed in support of the invasion and fought along the eastern half of Saipan.

Location: 9-A2

Advertisements