Leningrad now St. Petersburg

Leningrad now St. Petersburg

This pin represents the old USSR city of Leningrad, now Saint Petersburg. It was renamed after the collapse of the Soviet Union. St. Petersburg is a city and a federal subject (a federal city) of Russia located on the Neva River at the head of the Gulf of Finland on the Baltic Sea. In 1914 the name of the city was changed from Saint Petersburg to Petrograd, in 1924 to Leningrad (Russian: Ленинград), and in 1991, back to Saint Petersburg.

In Russian literature, informal documents, and discourse, the “Saint” is usually omitted, leaving Petersburg. In common parlance Russians may drop “-burg” as well, referring to it as Piter.

Saint Petersburg was founded by the Tsar Peter the Great on May 27, 1703. From 1713 to 1728 and from 1732 to 1918, Saint Petersburg was the Imperial capital of Russia. In 1918 the central government bodies moved from Saint Petersburg (then named Petrograd) to Moscow. It is Russia’s 2nd largest city after Moscow with 5 million inhabitants (2012) and the fourth most populated federal subject. Saint Petersburg is a major European cultural center, and also an important Russian port on the Baltic Sea.

Saint Petersburg is often described as the most Western city of Russia, as well as its cultural capital. It is the northernmost city in the world to have a population of over five million. The Historic Centre of Saint Petersburg and Related Groups of Monuments constitute a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Saint Petersburg is also home to The Hermitage, one of the largest art museums in the world. A large number of foreign consulates, international corporations, banks, and other businesses are located in Saint Petersburg.

Location: 18-A5

Advertisements